Roy was traded in a draft night deal, to the Portland Trailblazers, by former general manager Kevin McHale, for former TWolves guard Randy Foye (the 10th pick in that same draft) and cash.
The Timberwolves had concerns about his knees, which led to him being traded. Obviously those concerns were legitimate as he was forced into retirement a year ago, because he lacks cartilage between the bones in both of his knees.
The Portland Trailblazers amnestied Brandon Roy, prior to last season (ultimately, so they could sign guard Jamal Crawford).
The Timberwolves are interested in Brandon Roy, as former Portland assistant coach Bill Bayno spent two different stints with the Blazers and has reportedly convinced head coach Rick Adelman he's worth the risk and because the Wolves will be offering him this contract, obviously they've convinced David Kahn & Glen Taylor, as well.
The reported offer will be for two years, however the 'money amount' is unknown. Free agency begins on July 1st, so that will be the first day the Minnesota Timberwolves will be able to tender him an offer. He's likely to get some interest from some of the contending teams in the League, however the Wolves, would obviously be able to offer him more money.
Some other related Timberwolves free agency news...
- The Minnesota Timberwolves are still interested in guard Jamal Crawford. Crawford could be traded by/on Thursday's draft. If he's not he'll opt-out of his contract (has a player option for $5million for '12-'13) and become a free agent this summer.
- There was a report a few weeks ago that the Minnesota Timberwolves were interested in European guard Alexey Schved. TWolves scout Pete Philo is said to be a BIG fan.
- Knicks guard J.R. Smith has decided to opt-out of his contract with the New York Knicks and become an unrestricted free agent this summer. However, he says he hopes to resign with the Knicks in a long-term deal. It's unknown if the Knicks will really be able to make him a reasonable offer.
- Andre Iguodala has seemingly remained on the trading block for the past few years. Sounds as though Iggy is on the block, once again. The All-Star wing could be had...for the right price.
- I wouldn't count on it, however Memphis Grizzlies swingman Rudy Gay could also be moved this summer. The asking price (what Memphis would want in return) would almost certainly be pretty 'steep'.
That's all for now, thanks for reading HOWL and GO WOLVES!